Thursday, March 10, 2011

Is it a ball or Maxton's head?

This picture is from this morning things look a lot better the bruise and swelling are flat like a pancake rather than sticking out like an egg like when we first got to the hospital...



Today was a scary day.. today I hated... today I never want to experience again but know I will... Today while having fun with my kids enjoying the sunshine and some Sonic slush's just soaking in my wonderful world pitching some wiffle balls and catching some pop flies something terrible happened that stopped my heart and made my head spin...

Carter is up to bat he picks up the hard baseball bat to hit the wiffle ball I am pitching to him? Why not the plastic bat you ask, I don't know? All 7 kids and I out in the yard by the way... I pitch he swings his powerful swing misses the ball and smacks Maxton straight in the side of his beautiful little head, I pause at the sound and wonder if I accidentally pitched a baseball and not the plastic ball but as I see my 3 year old in slow motion fall backwards and hear Mallory scream, I realize NO I didn't the sound of the Home Run at a baseball stadium came from the impact of Carters baseball bat knocking Maxton in the head, when I get to him there is a indention in his head and he is screaming hysterically, he keeps saying he is going to puke, I don't move him I yell at the others for ice and ibuprofen, to grab the twins as I fumble for my phone to call Clint I know we must get to the ER, I hold it together look at his pupils have him follow my finger while waiting for the ice, ask him simple questions he seems to be ok other than in pain, I lift him and carry him to the house where I lay him down on the couch and redial Clint 4 times before he gets the hint its important and picks up I scream must come home mumble my story quickly which he responds with how and why? I don't have time to answer his dumb questions I leave mallory and the neighbor girl in charge of the 4 smalls and take Mason with me to keep Max awake, I am shaking and worried I drive thinking of all the what if's I keep prompting Mason to ask him questions and keep him awake. We make it the lump is the size of a egg sticking of the side of his head he isn't him self acting very weird, they check us in have us wait take us back have us wait the Dr. comes in takes a look we decide his eye doesn't look right and the bump is on the border between the hard and soft part of his skull she wants a CT scan I am thrilled this will set our minds at ease.. all the while Clint is worried, Carter has been crying feeling awful, Cavin and Mallory are also worried.. They take Maxton and I back to xray and Mason stays with a very sweet pregnant nurse eats a Popsicle while we do the "pictures" of Maxton's head... Much to our relief and after Maxton gets his own red Popsicle we get the ALL clear so close to something really bad but it all ended up ok.. Tonight Maxton sleeps with me cuddled up next to me where I can kiss and hold him and Thank GOD he is okay.. That's how a good days turn bad in a second.. .... Oh these boys are going to send me to the crazy house....

1 comment:

Amber said...

Poor girl, this happened to us once with Cray and Boston. Cray was hitting a ball off a tee with a wooden bat when he came around and hit Boston right in the side of the head. The sound was gut wrenching. I remember screaming and Cray crying. I am glad everything is okay. Boys always keep things so interesting.