Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Maxton went in for his PreK screening last week today I found out the results.. TOTAL BS.. They actually told me the Speech Therapist found an issue.. You have to be kidding is what I said.. This kid has been talking like a 12 year old since he was 18 months old ( ok that's pushing it a bit). For pete sakes the kid uses words I don't even think of and he talks as clear as the night sky.. I went in with this whole so he is "dumb" he gets free prek attitude because I knew I had been slacking on teaching him things after Carter I took this whole they have to learn for so long why not let them be kids attitude, well maybe I should rethink that?? I read to him which he loves, I do work on colors and counting but he HATES to learn from me has zero interest so I don't push. I do attempt it daily but it NEVER works he still calls red orange an blue purple he counts the way Maxton counts 1,2,3,4,9,11, etc.. even when told it's wrong, he draws straight lines with a curve in them and never knows square or rectangle.. I remember being told by a friend a few months ago that her son who is 8 months older than Max could read, I then called my friend who has a lot of kids too and began sobbing that I was a horrible mother and she said "NO your not my kids couldn't read until after kindergarten either and my oldest can't put books down now don't worry" it made me feel better, but after today's meeting I feel like I walked out with a BIG F on my shirt and a why do you have so many kids if you aren't going to teach them as a grade :( I vow to do better! I will start looking for more creative ways to teach Maxton and the twins. But in the meantime we will continue to dance around in the rain, make mud pies, have tickle monster fights, play power rangers, and just enjoy the time we have together before half his day is spent in school and half my day is spent missing him.. No matter what anybody says I know my Maxton is SMART! He is going to be something WONDERFUL when he grows up and then I can take this stupid evaluation and BURN IT!!! I love you Maxton and your STUPENDOUS!!!

4 comments:

Wodzisz Family said...

I have to tell you that we had the total opposite experience. I fully expected my 2 year old to not do well (I am realistic and he is kind of behind and young to be starting, but he will be 3). They told me he did really well in speech (ha...not true at all) and that he needs to work on is social skills (the only area I figured he would do well). I no longer believe in these tests AT ALL! Maybe it is the environment or the tester, but my son hardly ever speaks and even as his mom...I can't hardly understand much of what comes out of his mouth. Craziness!

Stefenie said...

Please don't beat yourself up at all. I think you are doing a wonderful job and quite honestly I don't like the pre-entry testing stuff. There is a lot of BS that sometimes comes out of those things. I agree with Hope's mom...somtimes it comes down to the person doing the testing too.

I like the fact that you let your kids enjoy being kids. There is so much pressure on them once they start school. Why not let them be kids for as long as they can, right? I read to Logan and we work on our colors while we are coloring. We do counting and stuff like that but it is all in fun and honestly some kids just like to be stubborn on learning stuff too. You are doing your best as the mommy of several kiddos. I do not think you deserve a big fat F at all. More like an A+++. {{{HUG}}}

mina said...

Neither of my older two were reading until at least half way through kindergarten, and both were reading at college level by 4th and 5th grade. Don't sweat it! Enjoy the time you spend at home with your babies! If I ever try to sit down with Bilal to learn something he covers his ears and refuses to even try, but he is excited about the thought of kindergarten in the fall. What we do is look for learning opportunities when we are in the car and he is a captive audience. We look at letter and colors on signs and rhyme words or learn opposites. So I think he just needs time. Most likely the same with Maxton. Don't let the therapist make you ever doubt his potential!

Anonymous said...

I came out of many parent and teacher conferences when Clint was in grade school and wondering what will happen to him in life if he is having so much trouble in school. Well the rest is history and I see what he does in his job so therefore, quit worrying he will be just fine.You know your child best they don't even know him.Sometimes it's like adults we judge too quickly on other adults.